These steps will cover troubleshooting for no internet on devices that connect over WiFi. Run through these steps if you do not have devices capable of ethernet connectivity or are experiencing issues in connecting over WiFi only.
Restart your modem
Sometimes a simple reboot of your modem can fix the problem. To do this, press the Power button on the back of the modem, wait five seconds, then turn it on again. Wait for two minutes for the modem to start up and test.
Check the modem lights
The modem's LEDs can tell you if your modem is working correctly. If they are NOT flashing properly, you'll need to redo the installation process in case it was not done correctly. View what your modem lights mean
Check you're connected to the correct WiFi network
If the WiFi network is open for connection, it will show up under available WiFi networks on your device. If it’s not showing up, double-check that you’re looking for the right name. The default name and password are on the bottom of your modem. If you have changed the network name or password and forget what they are, a factory reset will restore the default name and password. Learn how to factory reset your modem
Position of your modem
The position of your modem can influence the WiFi quality received by your devices. Follow these tips to ensure you're getting the most from your modem.
- Where possible, place your modem up high.
- Dense obstacles such as walls, floors, ceilings, hot water cylinders, aquariums etc. limit WiFi performance and range.
- Don’t place the modem near electronic devices such as microwave ovens, cordless phones or wireless transmitters like baby or room monitors. These can cause interference with your WiFi signal.
- Don’t place the modem in an enclosed space such as a cupboard, under or behind a desk or large item of furniture.
- If you want your WiFi coverage over a large area, try a WiFi extender or similar product. Check our website to find more about Spark Smart Mesh.
Changing the WiFi channel
The WiFi channel the modem currently uses might be crowded with WiFi signals of other nearby modems. Switching to a different channel can improve your WiFi connectivity. Learn how to change your WiFi channel
Factory reset your modem
Factory resetting your modem will restore its settings back to default. This can resolve any internet related problems if they are due to a modem setting configuration. Learn how to factory reset your modem