Over time, the wiring in your home or business can experience faults and may need repairing. If you currently pay for our Wire Maintenance service and experience a fault, we'll send a technician to look at it. If it’s covered, we'll fix the fault and take care of the costs.
If the fault's not covered or you do not currently pay for Wire Maintenance, we'll charge you a locate fee. And if you ask us to fix the fault, we'll charge you for our time and the materials. See below for these fees.
Note: Wire Maintenance is not available for customers using Fibre or Wireless services, and is no longer able to be added to Copper services.
What Wire Maintenance covers
Unless the cause of the fault is one of the factors listed in the next section, Wire Maintenance covers:
- Faulty internal wiring
- Faulty splitters and jackpoints (sometimes called sockets)
- Issues such as:
- Static on the line
- Being unable to make or receive calls
- Frequent disconnections or loss of broadband service
What Wire Maintenance doesn't cover
- Damage caused by renovations, alterations, wilful or deliberate actions
- Faults caused by faulty equipment. These include medical alarms, extension cables, phones, filters or a modem. If your modem was the only cause of the fault, there won't be a charge for the technician's visit if:
- Spark supplied the modem; and
- It's still in warranty or covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act
- Damage caused by exposure to weather or from natural disasters
- Faults caused by pets, vermin or other animals and insects
- Other changes that aren't required to fix the fault. For example, upgrading, adding or changing equipment such as wiring, a splitter or jackpoint while the technician is on site.
- Repairs to wiring or jackpoint installations if:
- Someone other than a Chorus technician did the work; and
- It doesn't meet telecommunications industry standards
- Damaged wiring outside your house, such as wiring between your house and shed
- Any Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) lines
Wire Maintenance and repair work costs
- If you currently pay for Wire Maintenance, you'll be charged $4.95 each month including GST
- If you do not currently pay for Wire Maintenance, you'll be charged repair costs for work inside the house to fix problems. These also apply to work that's not covered by Wire Maintenance. The costs include:
- A fee to locate the fault: $124.99 including GST
- Labour rate (per 15 minutes): $25.30 including GST plus any extra material costs
30-day stand down
- If you choose not to have Wire Maintenance when you sign up for a service and added prior to 31 May 2022, there will be a 30-day stand down. The repair fees above will apply for any repair work you need done during the stand-down period.