When you report an email or phone scam to Spark, we'll invesitgate and block the number or sender if possible.
If the scam is not similar to those already on the scam alerts page, we'll also add it to the scam alerts page to warn others. See current scam alerts
For more info on how the telco industry is working to fight scams, go to the NZ Telecommunications Forum website. Go to TCF article
If you know it’s a scam:
- For email scams sent to an Xtra Mail email address, send a screenshot of the email to us. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don't forward the email, as it will likely be picked up as spam and blocked.
- You can also report the scam to Netsafe. Report scam to Netsafe
- If you receive an email from Spark but don't have an Xtra Mail account, contact your email provider.
- To report phone or text scams, email us. Email: email@example.com
If you’re not sure if it’s a scam:
- If you're not sure if a communication from a company is legitimate check our scam alerts page to see if it's a known scam. See current scam alerts
- If you’re still unsure, call the company directly to verify the call:
- Use the phone number listed on their official website or in the phone book.
- If the caller says they're from Spark, give us a call on 0800 800 123 and we can check your account.
- If in doubt, hang up the call or delete the email.
If you think you’ve been scammed:
- If you think you've shared a password, make sure you change it for that account. Also change your password for other accounts if you use the same password in more than one place. For example, your computer, email, or social media accounts.
- If you've given bank account or credit card details, contact your bank straight away and let them know.
- If you’ve done anything on your computer at the scammers request, you should:
- Immediately disconnect your computer from the internet.
- Contact a computer services company for help. They can remove the software and secure your computer.
- Once you've done the above, report the scam to your phone or internet provider: