Important things you should know
Mobile Prepaid terms and conditions apply
- Shared plans can't be purchased by themselves, they must be attached and sharing with one of our Spark mobile plans
- Each mobile plan has a maximum number of sharers that can be attached to it
- All shared data use is on a first come first serve basis. Controls via MySpark and the Spark app can be used to help manage usage
Go Open Term and call the shots. Bring your phone and keep your options open – we won't lock you in long term.
Phone subsidy available until further notice. Spark can withdraw this at any time.
Text allocations can be used for person to person text messages to any New Zealand network.
All rates are GST inclusive. For more information visit spark.co.nz. When travelling overseas, voice and data roaming charges apply. To view charges, visit spark.co.nz/roaming
Set up a shared plan
Early termination fees
Contact us to check if any of your services come with a contract. If the contract term hasn't finished, you may be facing early exit fees.
If you bought a mobile from Spark interest free, check to see if you have any monthly payments left. You need to pay any instalments left before you cancel your account.
There's a standard 30-day notice period when you cancel Spark's services. The notice period starts from the day you let us know you want to cancel. For more information on our 30-day notice period, please see our terms and conditions
- How does sharing work?
Sharing allows you to get the most out of your plan by sharing the mobile data allowance of your plan with other members of your family.
The Share Leader then has the ability to set the limits and allocations for all of those linked to the plan.
Different mobile plans allow for different numbers of Mobile Sharers and Data Sharers to be connected.
- How do I share?
Most Pay Monthly mobile customers can choose to share their plan. Consumer customers who are already sharing, or want to get started, can arrange a number of sharing changes themselves in MySpark and in the Spark app.
What is a limit?
- Add a user (sharer) – arrange to port, plan change, move from Prepaid or get a new number with or without a device
- Remove a user (sharer) – arrange to put a sharer on its own plan on your account
- Change user (sharer) type – swap between Mobile Sharer and Data Sharer
- Change plan – get a bigger or smaller leader plan to suit your needs
Customers who choose to share their mobile plan can opt to nominate a shared data limit to any or all of their users, which provides a cap on how much of the group's shared data they can use in a billing month. Shared data includes Pay Monthly plan, shared extras and overage allowances.
Note: Shared data limits are not an allocation of shared data for a user to use in a month. They act as a cap on how much of the available data can be used.
Limits can be changed at any time during the billing month and take effect immediately.
Customers can set their mobiles' shared data limits to a total that is greater or less than their available shared data in their plan and any extras they may be sharing by putting limits on all users, including the Share Leader, but we don't recommend this.
To get the most out of your mobile plan we recommend that one or more user should have their limit set to Max. This could be the manager of your team or parents, in a family situation. Data smart caps can help you manage your spend on casual data.
- Shared data limits are available at specific levels for customers to choose from: 1GB, 2GB, 3GB, 4GB and 5GB.
- Customers can also choose to set a 0GB limit, which means that no shared data can be used.
- A limit setting of Max means there is no shared data limit set. This is the default for all new connections to Shared Plans
- You're setting a limit not reserving data, therefore if you don't set limits then the group members may use the full allowance
Limits can be set by customers through MySpark and the Spark app when logging in with a Spark ID that has account level access.
Customers who log in through MySpark or the Spark app with a Spark ID that has account level access to an account with shareable mobiles on it can set data limits for their users individually or for all users at once. Go here for more information
What happens if my sharer reaches their limit?
As soon as a user who has a shared data limit set reaches their limit they'll receive a message letting them know what's happened. If you reach 100% of your data limit you won't have access to data on your mobile device.
Also, the sharer will not be able to use any shared data until the leader has removed the limit (by setting the sharer to Max) or increased the sharer's limit.
What is shared by Share Group users?
- Data extras against the leader plan which are set up for sharing
- Data stretch overage on business mobile plans
- Casual data overage on all mobile plans
Any other products and pricing such as international calling packs, Spotify Premium or roaming extras are not shared by the group.
Can my data sharer get texts?
These plans are for data sharing only. Spark Pay Monthly terms and conditions apply.
What happens if anyone on the share plans wants to roam overseas?
All standard roaming charges apply
I want more sharers than my limit? Can I do this?
You'll have to contact Spark as there are specific limits for each eligible plan. You may require a plan change.
Can I view all of the plan sharers' usage?
Customers who log into MySpark and the Spark app using a Spark ID that has account level access for an account with mobile plans that are being shared can see:
- How much of their plan and extras has been used by them and the rest of the group. They can also see how much is remaining and the dates for those products
- How much sharable data each user in the Share Group has used so far in the current billing month
- The usage for their individual extras
Where a customer is logged into the Spark app with their mobile number they'll see information about the data they're sharing.
How do I remove a sharer?
See 2 on how to remove a user.