Please configure

Keep your mobile safe

Find out how to keep your mobile, SIM card and its contents secure.

General mobile safety 


To stop other people from being able to use your mobile, set up your mobile with a passcode. Find out how to set up a passcode in your mobile's user guide. If you lock yourself out of your mobile, you'll need your PUK code.

PIN and PUK codes

  • Your mobile's SIM card has a security PIN and a PUK code. The default PIN is usually 1234. To change this, check your mobile's user guide.
  • Your PIN is a code that keeps information on your mobile safe by locking your SIM.
  • Use the PUK code to unblock your SIM if you enter your PIN wrong three times.
  • The PUK code is on the surrounding plastic that your SIM card was in. If you've lost this piece of plastic, you can still find it in MySpark. Sign in to MySpark


Find PUK code and unlock SIM card

  1. Sign in to MySpark
  2. Select Products and services.
  3. Scroll down and select your phone number from the drop-down.
  4. The PUK code for this number will show. Note: If you enter the wrong PUK code 10 times, it'll block your SIM card and you'll need to get a new one.

Mobile phone numbers are linked to individual SIM cards. So if you need a new SIM card, we can set it up so you get to keep current phone number. Just call us on 0800 BUSINESS and we can do a SIM swap for you.

Any data and contacts saved to your SIM card can only be retrieved if you have the card. If you do locate your SIM card, or have it returned to you, bring it into a store and they can also transfer the contents to your new SIM card.

There are a number of apps you can use to help track down your lost or stolen mobile.

Check the relevant app store for one that will run on your mobile.

Google Play Store

Apple App Store

Windows Phone Store

Lost or stolen mobile or SIM


If your mobile or SIM gets lost or stolen, contact us and we can block your phone on Spark's network immediately, and from all networks within 24 hours. If you find your mobile or SIM, we can unblock it within one working day of you letting us know. You should report any theft to the Police.

If you opted for our Mobile Insurance when you bought your mobile, you’re covered for loss or theft whether you are overseas or home in New Zealand.

If you’re travelling overseas and your mobile or SIM gets lost or stolen, you can contact Spark at any time by dialling the international numbers on our Contact Us page.

If you have lost your mobile device and/or SIM card, call us on one of the numbers below:

Business customers

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm - call 126
  • After hours - call 125

We will put call, text, and data blocks on your mobile connection so other people can’t use it. If only your mobile has been stolen, you can also visit a Spark Store and we can make sure it’s blocked. You’ll just need to provide a proof of purchase. Find a Spark Store

Report any lost or stolen mobile devices and SIM cards to the Police. In New Zealand, you can do this by either calling or visiting your local Police station. If you are overseas, please check the internet or a local phone book for contact details.

The police will provide you with an incident report, this will be required if you want to make an insurance claim. They will also be able to advise you if someone finds your phone and hands it in. Find local Police station

In line with the telecommunications Forum (TCF) IMEI Block Listing Code, all NZ Mobile operators (Spark, Vodafone, 2Degrees) have started sharing details of blocked handsets. The main purpose is to discourage the theft and fraudulent acquisition of mobile handsets.

A mobile barred on one network (e.g. Spark) will be barred across the other networks (e.g. Vodafone and 2Degrees) within 24 hours. Devices will be unblocked across other networks with one working day of being notified. This is done using an automated process.

A device can only be unblocked by the Service Provider that initiated the block. So, if the block originally came from Vodafone or 2Degrees you’ll need to contact them to have it removed.

If you have Mobile Insurance with us please call 0800 MOBINS (0800 662 467). If you have insurance with another company you will need to contact them instead.

To make a mobile insurance claim for a lost or stolen mobile, you need to:

  • Report your missing mobile to the police. They will give you a lost property report or complaint acknowledgement form to include with your claim.
  • Include the lost property report or complaint acknowledgement form with your claim.
  • Call us on 0800 MOBINS (0800 662 467) to start the claim.