Customerlink has a monthly rental cost. There’s also a standard call rate between the exchange the number is connected to and where it diverts - also known as where it "terminates". Local call charging still applies even if the Customerlink is on a Residential account.
People calling the Customerlink number will be charged their usual rate for calling the area where it is held.
Here are a few examples to help you see how it works:
Bob has a Christchurch number on Customerlink and has it diverted to his Auckland office.
Jane in Wellington calls the Christchurch number.
- Jane pays for the toll call from Wellington to Christchurch
- Bob is charged a toll call from Christchurch to Auckland
Chris has a Tauranga number on Customerlink and has it diverted to his 0800 number which terminates in Hamilton.
Alison in Tauranga calls his Customerlink number.
- Alison makes a free local call (unless she is a business customer) as she is calling a Tauranga number from Tauranga
- Chris is charged nothing on his Customerlink as it is making a free call to an 0800
- The 0800 number is charged for receiving a call from Tauranga
Mary has a Dunedin number on Customerlink and it diverts to her Call Minder.
Bruce in Dunedin calls the Dunedin Customerlink number.
- Bruce makes a free local call (unless he is a business customer)
- Mary is changed nothing on her Customerlink as it is a free call to Call Minder
Jane has an Auckland number on Customerlink and it diverts a Mobile.
Sally in Auckland calls the Auckland Customerlink number.
- Sally makes a free local call (unless she is a business customer)
- Jane is charged for the call from her Auckland number to her mobile - the same as if she had made the call herself