Use Smart Caps to control how much data you use in New Zealand. If you're on one of our Pay Monthly plans, you can limit how much you spend on data each month.
With Smart Caps, you choose how much data you want to use after your plan's data allowance is reached and charging at the casual rate of $0.30 per MB begins.
The Smart Cap limit for most of our mobile plans is $100 (which will apply if you don't choose another limit).
You can change your Smart Cap at any time for free. For share plans, the Smart Cap limit on the leader's plan applies to all other sharers in the group.
Stay in control of your usage by checking and managing your Smart Cap using MySpark online or the Spark app.
When you start being charged casual rates for data, we'll let you know via text. You might like to change your Smart Cap at this time.
What else do I need to know?
- If you're heading overseas, check out our roaming data caps
- If you've used up your plan's data allowance and reached your Smart Cap, you will need to purchase a data extra through MySpark or the Spark app
- Smart Caps manage only your data. They don't limit outgoing calls and SMS (text messages that don't have photos or other files attached).
- Smart Cap limits are: $0, $10, $20, $50, $100 or unlimited. You won't be stopped from using casual data unless you've set a cap limit.
- You will get a text when you've used up your plan's data allowance, and again when you reach first 80% and then 100% of your Smart Cap. After that, your phone or tablet will no longer be able to use data that's not free.
- You can choose to receive alerts on another mobile number and/or on an email address
- When you have reached your chosen limit, you'll be unable to:
- Browse the internet, except for free sites
- Sync emails
- Download or upload data files
- Send or receive photo and video messages (you'll still receive notifications)
Manage your Smart Caps