Use Smart Caps to control how much data you use.
If you're on a Spark Pay Monthly plan, including Mobile Broadband, you can use Smart Caps limit how much you spend on data each month. With Smart Caps, you can choose how much data you want to use after reaching your plan's data allowance. Here's what you need to know about Smart Caps:
- Smart Caps are for data products within NZ only
- Casual data rates are $0.59 per MB
- The Smart Cap limit for most of our mobile plans is $100. This is the default limit, but you can choose another limit. You can change your Smart Cap at any time.
- For share plans, the Smart Cap limit on the leader's plan applies to all other sharers in the group
- You can check and manage your Smart Cap using MySpark online or the Spark app
- When you start being charged casual rates for data, we'll let you know via text. You may like to change your Smart Cap at this time.
What else do I need to know?
- If you're heading overseas, check out our roaming data caps. Understand roaming data caps
- If you've used up your plan's data allowance and reached your Smart Cap, you'll need to buy a data extra through MySpark or the Spark app
- Smart Caps apply only to data; they don't limit outgoing calls and text messages that don't have photos or other files attached (that is, SMS).
- Smart Cap limits can be set to the following amounts:
- You won't be stopped from using casual data unless you've set a cap limit.
- You'll get a text when you've used up your plan's data allowance, and again when you reach first 80% and then 100% of your Smart Cap. After that, your phone or tablet will no longer use data that's not free.
- You can choose to receive alerts on another mobile number and/or on an email address
- After you reach your chosen limit, you'll be unable to:
- Browse the internet, except for free sites
- Sync emails
- Download or upload data files
- Send or receive photo and video messages (you'll still receive notifications)
Manage Smart Caps