eSIM with Spark NZ
You can get eSIM on a range of devices, including phones, tablets and wearables. We can't guarantee that eSIM will work on devices that weren't bought from Spark. Learn more about Spark eSIM
Phones & tablets
Spark supports eSIM for selected devices:
- Apple iPhone XR, XS and later (on the latest software version)
- To check if there is a software update available, open Settings > General > About Device > Software Update. Before installing an update, we recommend backing up your phone. Download the update over WiFi to avoid using data.
- Samsung Galaxy Fold, Z Flip, Galaxy S20 and later
- Huawei P40 and later
- Apple iPad Pro (11-inch) and later, iPad Pro (3rd gen, 12.9-inch) and later, iPad Air (3rd gen) and later, iPad (7th gen) and later, iPad Mini (5th gen) and later
If you’ve already got an existing SIM card with Spark, you’ll need to visit us in store to switch to an eSIM. Find my local Spark store
You can also buy a plan with eSIM online for your phone or tablet.
Want to buy an eSIM device online?
Spark supports eSIM for selected watches:
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and later (on the latest software version)
- To check if there is a software update available, from your iPhone open the Watch app. Tap General > Software Update. Before installing an update, we recommend performing a backup. Download the update over WiFi to avoid using data.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 4G and later (cellular models only)
- You can buy the Unlimited Wearable plan with a Samsung Galaxy Watch online and in Spark retail stores. You can also buy a Galaxy Watch outright and later connect it to the Spark network with the Unlimited Wearable Plan for eSIM. Take it to a Spark retail store to buy this plan.
Set up eSIM with Spark NZ
Set up my Apple Watch with cellular
See our help page to set up One Number on a compatible Apple Watch. Set up One Number Wearable Plan
Set up my Samsung Galaxy Watch
You'll need to pair your watch with a phone that's connected to the Spark network. Follow the instructions to set up your watch: Set up Galaxy Watch
Set up my eSIM–capable iPhone
Find out how to activate eSIM on your iPhone.
You’ll need a QR code to get setup. This will either be emailed to you or provided by a sales rep. Once you have your QR code, follow the steps below.
Note: Your phones screen and wording may differ slightly due to software version updates on your device.
- Connect to Wifi or a Hotspot
- If you are switching from a Spark physical Trio SIM to a Spark eSIM, we recommend removing your physical SIM card as it makes it easier to set up
- Navigate to Settings
- Click on Mobile
- Click Add Mobile Plan. The camera app will launch.
- Use the camera to scan the QR code provided to you
- Click Add Mobile Plan
- If you don’t have a physical Trio SIM in your device, you’ll see a spinning wheel while your eSIM is being activated.
- If you do have a physical Trio SIM in your device, you’ll need to select your primary and secondary number options and then click Continue
Note: you can change these later in your Settings menu.
- Your eSIM should now be active and ready to use
See FAQ about eSIM for phones
Set up my eSIM–capable Samsung Galaxy phone
- Make sure you're connected to WiFi or a hotspot.
- Navigate to Settings > Connections and select Sim Card Manager.
- Select Add mobile plan.
- Wait for the Searching for plan search wheel to stop spinning.
- Select Add using QR code and scan the QR code provided to you (likely from a Spark email or from a sales rep)
- Select Add when prompted with the Add new mobile pop up.
- Select OK when prompted with the Turn on new mobile plan pop up.
- Once it has finished loading, your eSIM profile should now be active. You will be able to see your profile in the eSIMs section of the SIM Card Manager menu.
Set up my eSIM-capable Huawei phone
Follow the instructions on the Huawei website. View instructions
Set up my eSIM–capable iPad
To set up eSIM on your iPad, you need to scan a QR code. During this process, you'll need a WiFi or hotspot connection.
- On your iPad, go to Settings > Mobile data.
- Under Select service provider, you may see GigSky and AlwaysOnline. Select Other...
- Scan the QR code from Spark (in an email or from a store rep).
- Your eSIM should now be active and ready to use.