To set up eSIM on your iPhone you need to scan a QR code.
If you bought your iPhone online from Spark and chose eSIM when ordering we'll email you the QR code. Scan the QR code and follow the instructions below.
If you already have an eligible iPhone, but didn't buy it from Spark, chat with the team or pop in to a store for the QR code.
If you have an existing physical SIM card connected with Spark you'll need to visit a Spark store for a SIM swap first. This will change your number over from the physical SIM to the eSIM. Once you SIM swap to eSIM is completed, the store can help you activate your eSIM or, you can follow the instructions below.
Find a Spark store
A few things to consider before activating your eSIM on your iPhone:
- Currently eSIM is supported by the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR with iOS 12.1
- You need a stable internet connect to download the eSIM profile. You'll need a WiFi or hotspot connection as once your physical SIM is disconnected you won't be able to connect to the mobile network until you have downloaded the eSIM profile.
To activate the eSIM:
- Ensure that your mobile phone is connected to WiFi or a hotspot.
- Go to the Start screen and select Mobile.
- Scroll down and choose Mobile Data.
- Choose Add Data Plan.
- Scan the QR code with the iPhone camera.
- The eSIM download will start
- Choose labels for your data plans then select Continue.
- Tick an option for your default plan, in this case use Secondary as your default line.
- Note: You can customise these setting later in Settings
- Select Done. The eSIM has been activated and is ready to use.
Having trouble scanning the QR code?
- If you have an existing physical SIM card connected with Spark you'll need to visit a Spark store for a SIM swap first. This will change your number over from the physical SIM to the eSIM. Once your SIM swap to eSIM is completed, the store can help you activate your eSIM or, you can follow the instructions.
- If you've just bought an eligible iPhone and Pay Monthly plan from Spark, ensure your have chosen eSIM as the SIM type when ordering, then follow the instructions to activate your eSIM.
- Make sure you're connected to WiFi or a hotspot because once the SIM swap is complete your phone will be temporarily disconnected until you have downloaded the profile for the eSIM. You need to be connected to WiFi or a hotspot to be able to download the profile.
- Try scanning the QR code again, sometimes it takes time.