If you already have a Fibre box (ONT)
There's no need for a technician visit if you already have Fibre installed. If you need a landline, you can follow the Fibre landline set up steps
Otherwise, you can connect your modem to the Fibre box yourself with these steps:
- Locate the Fibre box in your house. It will often be on a wall. If you can't find it, you can go outside to find the external box. Once you find that, the Fibre box should be in a corresponding place on the inside. It should look like the images below.
- Check that it's plugged in to the wall.
- Check the power and optical/PON lights are green and lit up.
- Once your modem is delivered you can connect it to your Fibre box. To do this connect the Ethernet cable from the blue WAN port on the back of your modem into the Fibre box. Only one port on the Fibre box will provide service. In most cases this is GE1 or LAN1, but could be other ports.
Missing power cable from Chorus ONT
You can request for a power cable to be delivered to your address from Chorus. Go to Chorus - Power cord replacement for ONT
Fibre box lights - Chorus
If Chorus is your Local Fibre Company, the Fibre box will look like one of the examples below:
Chorus - model type 100 and 200
Check the power and optical lights are green, and the correct LAN light is orange. If you don’t see this, make sure you have both the modem and Fibre box plugged in and turned on. If you find the LAN light is green it means the Fibre box or modem are connected at a lower speed. It's best to try a different cable.
Chorus - model type 300
Check the power, and GPON lights are green, the correct LAN light is green, and the LOS light is off. If you don't see this, make sure you have both the modem and the Fibre box plugged in and turned on.
More information on the Chorus fibre box can be found on the Chorus website: My Optical Network Terminal (ONT)
Fibre box lights - other Local Fibre Company
If you're in another part of New Zealand, the Fibre box could look like either of the below:
The power and PON lights should be green, and the appropriate LAN light on green. If you don’t see this, make sure you have both the modem and Fibre box plugged in and turned on.
If the power light is off on the Fibre box, make sure the power cable is connected and plugged into a power point. If the Fibre box has a power switch on it, make sure it’s in the ON position.
Message us if:
- you can’t get the power light to turn on on
- the optical light is not green
- the LOS light is on
If any of these happen, there may be an issue with the Fibre box, or the Fibre cable to your address.
Modem set up
After the Fibre box is powered on and showing the correct lights you’ll need to check what the lights on your modem are doing. Follow these instructions to set up your modem