Learn how to activate One Number on your Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular).
To set up One Number, you'll need an iPhone 6s with iOS 13 (or later) on an eligible Primary Pay Monthly mobile plan and a compatible Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) with watchOS 6 or later.
Topics on this page
About One Number
One Number from Spark is a way to use your phone number on your phone and your cellular watch. Two devices, one number. You can also make and receive calls and texts from your watch without being close to your phone.
You can get One Number when you sign up for a $12.99 One Number Wearable Plan ($11.30 excl. GST). It's a plan for cellular watches only. It lets you use the minutes and texts from your primary Spark Pay Monthly mobile plan on your watch. Plus, you always get unlimited data on the watch.
Note: Max unlimited data speeds reduce after 40GB. No tethering or hotspots. You can only get text mesasges if your iPhone is turned on and connected to the network.
What you'll need
To get One Number, first you'll need a compatible wearable device (that is, a smart watch) and phone. Check your device compatibility:
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)
- Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular)
- Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular)
*Only models with LTE bands 3, 7 and UMTS 2100 MHz and 850 MHz are supported by the Spark network. Learn more about bands, supported locations and carriers at apple.com/nz/watch/cellular
Make sure you've installed the latest software (watchOS) from Apple. Here's how you can check for updates:
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app.
- Go to General > Software Update.
You'll need watchOS 6 or later to get the One Number Wearable Plan from Spark.
You'll need an iPhone 6s or later.
Make sure you've installed the latest software (iOS) from Apple. Here's how you can check for updates:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Then go to Settings > General > About.
- Follow the prompts to update to the latest carrier settings.
You'll need iOS 13 or later to get the One Number Wearable Plan from Spark.
How to activate One Number Wearable Plan
Here's how you can activate the $12.99 One Number Wearable Plan from your iPhone. You can also set up the plan when you buy a watch online, or visit us instore.
New watch? Pair it with your iPhone first
If you want to use an Apple Watch that's not already paired to your iPhone, you'll need to pair it first. Here's how:
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on for the iPhone and the Apple Watch.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap Pair New Watch.
- When prompted, position your iPhone so that your Apple Watch appears in the viewfinder in the Apple Watch app. This pairs the two devices.
- Tap Set Up Apple Watch. Follow the instructions on your iPhone and Apple Watch to finish setting up.
If your phone is dual SIM, make sure you take out the second SIM card (or turn off the second eSIM) before you pair your watch.
Activate the One Number Wearable Plan
When you pair your watch, you'll have the option to set up your mobile plan.
Choose Set Up Mobile to connect your watch to the Spark network now.
- You'll see the Spark log in page. Enter your email address and password. Choose Continue.
- If you don’t have a MySpark account, go to spark.co.nz/myspark/register
- If you have a MySpark account but forgot your password, go to spark.co.nz/myspark/forgottenpassword
- If you've made changes to your MySpark account, restart the Watch app before continuing.
- Review the information about the $12.99 One Number Wearable Plan. (You'll only see this screen if your current mobile plan is compatible with One Number.) Choose Continue.
- Read the terms and conditions and tick I agree to the above Terms and Conditions. Choose Accept.
- Review plan details, including your primary line, and choose Sign up.
- You'll see a success screen. Choose Close.
- Wait 5–7 minutes for your plan to be activated. You'll get a text message from Spark to notify you when your plan is active.
If you get an error message during the activation process, see how to fix it. Understand set up errors
Confirm the watch is connected
If you want to make sure your watch is connected, here's how:
- Turn off Bluetooth or move away from your phone.
- Now open the Control Centre on your watch. Make sure WiFi is off. If the cellular data icon is green, then your plan is working:
- You can also check on your iPhone. Open the Watch app and look under Mobile. Spark NZ should show under Mobile Data Plan.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Get answers to common questions about Spark's One Number Wearable Plan.