Find out how to keep your phone, SIM card and its contents secure.
Block a lost mobile or SIM card
We can block your phone on Spark's network immediately, and from all networks within 24 hours. To do this, you'll need to contact us.
If you find your phone or SIM, we can unblock it within one working day of you letting us know.
Recovering SIM data and keeping your current number
If you need a new SIM card, we can set it up to use your current phone number. Contact us via:
Buying a second-hand phone?
Find the 15-digit IMEI number by entering *#06# on your phone. You can use the IMEI number to check if the phone is lost or stolen on the Telecommunications Forum website. Check IMEI on the Telecommunications Forum website now
Locking and unlocking your mobile
To stop other people from being able to use your phone, set up your phone with a passcode. Find out how to set up a passcode in your mobile's user guide. If you lock yourself out of your phone, you'll need your PUK code.
PIN and PUK codes
- Your mobile's SIM card has a security PIN and a PUK code. The default PIN is usually 1234. To change this, check your mobile's user guide.
- Your PIN is a code that keeps information on your mobile safe by locking your SIM.
- Use the PUK code to unblock your SIM if you enter your PIN wrong three times.
- The PUK code is on the surrounding plastic that your SIM card was in. If you've lost this piece of plastic, you can still find when you sign in to MySpark.
Find PUK code and unlock SIM card
- Sign in to MySpark.
- Select Products and services.
- Scroll down and select your phone number from the drop-down.
- The PUK code for this number will show. Note: If you enter the wrong PUK code 10 times, it'll block your SIM card and you'll need to get a new one.
Spark mobile insurance
To make a mobile insurance claim for a lost or stolen phone, you need to:
- Report your missing phone to the police.
- Include the lost property report or complaint acknowledgement form with your claim.
- Call us on 0800 MOBINS (0800 662 467) to start the claim.
To be eligible for cover under this policy you must:
- Have bought a new mobile from Spark and have signed up to the insurance policy within 30 days of buying the mobile.
- Connect your mobile to Spark’s mobile network and be on a Pay Monthly plan.
- Have a Pay Monthly SIM in the mobile at the time of accidental damage or loss.
Important notes about mobile insurance
- You may see more than one charge on your bill for mobile insurance. This may be because you've recently purchased a new mobile but haven't indicated to Spark that you want to end the insurance on your previous phone. Spark assumes that you may still be using this phone. To cancel the insurance on a previous mobile phone follow the instructions on this page under Cancel your mobile insurance.
- You can't put off making claims until after insurance is set up.
- If you lose your phone, or it's damaged, while you're overseas you may be able to get money back on your loan phone. When you return to NZ, you'll need to make a claim and provide proof of the costs you've faced.
- If you find a phone you've made a claim on, contact us on 0800 MOBINS.
- Your insurance only covers you if your account is up to date.
- All claims management is handled by AON New Zealand. To lodge a claim, call 0800 MOBINS. Claims need to be lodged within 30 days from the date of accidental damage or loss. For full details, View Spark's Mobile Insurance policy
Cancel your mobile insurance
For residential accounts, call us on 0800 MOBINS (0800 662 467).
For business accounts, we'll need:
- Company name
- Requestor's name
- Mobile number(s)
- A signature.
Please post the information above to Teleco Insurance (NZ), PO Box 2845, Wellington, or fax it to 04 819 4103.
Spark mobile insurance disputes or queries
If you have a complaint, you'll need to get in touch within 10 working days of the event occurring. You can get in touch using one of the following methods:
- Phone 0800 662 467
- Email to email@example.com
- Write to Teleco Insurance (NZ), PO Box 2845, Wellington.