The eSIM is the new standard for SIM cards which will eventually become commonplace. eSIM means 'embedded' or 'electronic' SIM. By 2021, 630 million mobile and Internet of Things (IoT) devices will be shipped with embedded SIMs annually. Here's what you need to know about eSIM, and how it will benefit you.
What you need to know about eSIM
eSIM will change the way people, businesses and devices connect to mobile networks. It's the new SIM standard being promoted by the GSM association and will be used across all network operators worldwide in the future. An eSIM is a SIM card that's embedded in your mobile device. No plastic, no lag, no paperclips, no brainer. eSIMs are even smaller than Nano SIMs and are soldered onto a device's motherboard at the point of manufacturing.
Like a traditional SIM card, the eSIM stores data that is needed for your device to connect to and use the Spark network. The functionality of an eSIM is the same as a physical SIM, without the hassle of physically swapping the SIM cards around.
The eSIM profile allows the device to connect to the network operator to send and receive calls, SMS and access apps, without Bluetooth pairing to your smartphone. Every device that uses an eSIM will be a little bit different so check the instructions that come with your device.
On some eSIM capable devices you'll have greater flexibility in terms of managing your connection and using advanced features such as dual SIM capability (please note, this feature isn't available with the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4G). This makes it a great option when travelling or for those who need one number for business and another number for personal use.
eSIM is available on:
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 4G
- iPhone XR on iOS 12.1 and above*
- iPhone XS Max on iOS 12.1 and above*
- iPhone XS on iOS 12.1 and above*
*Some restrictions apply:
- If you've already got an existing SIM card connected with Spark, before you can follow the steps to activate eSIM on your device you'll need to visit us in store to be transferred over to eSIM. Find a Spark store
- If you've just bought an eligible iPhone from Spark and chosen eSIM when placing your order, select Set up my iPhone below for instructions
- If you have an eligible iPhone that you bought from somewhere other than Spark and would like to use eSIM, chat with us or pop into a Spark store to get set up. Chat with Spark
Buying an eSIM enabled device from Spark
- Get your Samsung Galaxy Watch 4G online and in Spark stores. Buy online now
- Buy your eSIM enabled iPhone XS, XS Max or XR online and in Spark stores. Buy online now