Please configure

Get a refund of credit on your account

There are a few reasons your account may be in credit, for example:

  • Overpayment
  • A billing error
  • You were a Spark customer in the past and there was a credit balance on your final bill

If you're a current Spark customer, any credit on your account will automatically go toward your future bills. If you would prefer to have the credit refunded, complete the refund form and we'll get it back to you. 

If you recently got a letter or email from us, it will have your old Spark account number and how much you're owed.

Go to refund form

If you don’t have your old Spark account number handy, or you want to check if you’re owed a refund, try our refund checker form. Go to refund checker form

If you’re an existing customer and want to check on a refund, or for all other refund queries you can chat with us. Chat now

Make sure you get what's yours - information for former Spark customers.

  • If you have a credit balance on your final Spark account, you can get a refund.
  • Ready to claim your refund? Use the Spark account number included in the letter, statement or email we've sent you to complete the online form. Go to refund form
  • We can pay your refund within seven to 10 working days by:
    • Crediting your NZ or overseas bank account
    • Transferring the balance to another Spark account (the same legal entity). Note: This excludes Prepaid accounts.
    • Donating your refund to Spark Foundation to support its community programmes

Note: After six years, any unclaimed account balance more than $100 will go to the IRD. This complies with the Unclaimed Monies Act.

Bill paid by someone else. Where does the refund go?

  • If your bill gets paid by a third party, eg, your employer or Work and Income, you can choose how we refund the money.
  • We can send the refund to the third party, or we can send it to you to pass on to them. Remember that it's up to you to let them know what's happening.

Common questions from former Spark customers

Sometimes when you leave Spark, there’s money left on your account.

This could be because of:

  • An automatic payment issue
  • An error with your final payment
  • Or we may have charged the wrong amount for something

We’re working with the Commerce Commission to address a system issue. This issue miscalculated the final payment when customers gave their 30 days’ notice.

If you were a Spark customer in the past, we may owe you some money.

In most cases, it’s a few dollars. But some customers are owed a bit more. If you have your old Spark account number handy, use the refund form to check. Go to refund form

If you’ve left Spark in the last seven years, we’ll send a letter or an email to the most recent address we have for you. Go to refund form

Not sure you're owned a refund, or not sure about your account number? Fill in the refund checker form to get the process started. Go to refund checker form

Fill out the refund form.Go to refund form

From there, you can choose to have your money:   

  • Sent to a personal bank account   
  • Sent to a different Spark account   
  • Donated to Spark Foundation to support its community programmes

If you left Spark in the last six years, your money is set aside waiting to be claimed.

If it’s been more than six years, any credits over $100 get passed on to the IRD by law. That means you’ll need to visit the Unclaimed monies page on the IRD website. Go to IRD website

Credits of less than $100 stay held at Spark, waiting for customers to claim them.

We’re getting in touch with customers who’ve left Spark in the last seven years, with an outstanding credit of $1 of more.

We're not contacting customers:

  • With government, enterprise or corporate accounts
  • In receivership, liquidation or decease estates
  • Where mail has been returned to sender before
Was this article helpful to you?
Thanks for your feedback.
Thanks for your feedback.